Wednesday 12 April 2017

Sew Together Madness

Last weekend, I stayed up WAY too late sewing together a couple of Sew Together bags. I'd cut all the pieces and quilted the exterior panels the weekend before, and then Friday night I stayed up till 2am sewing them together. Probably not the wisest decision, but loads of fun nevertheless - and it was worth the total lack of brain function the next day. I absolutely adore these bags, and am so pleased with how they turned out. 


I've seen many, many versions of the Sew Together bag on the interwebs since the pattern (by Sew Demented) was released and I've always admired how great they look. And now that I've got a few hand piecing projects  on the go, I thought it was the perfect time to try the pattern out. 



I fully intended on making just one of these bags, but once I started raiding my stash to choose fabrics for them, I had difficulty choosing what to use. So I bit the bullet and just made two. They're both made using Anna Maria Horner fabrics - I find bags are a great way to use large scale prints I adore, but that might be difficult to use in quilts. It might seem slightly ridiculous making two, but I have two English Paper Piecing (EPP) projects on the go, and these bags will make it so much easier to stay organised and avoid losing papers, basted shapes and cut fabrics. 



I'm pretty positive you would have seen many versions of these bags by now - but I can't emphasise enough how awesome they are. When zipped up they are a nice sized little bag, and the outer zip doubles as a handle. 



When unzipped they are just fantastic. They fit SO MUCH STUFF inside them. So much. And when they're open, everything inside is totally visible - so when I'm sitting on the couch hand-piecing, they work awesomely well. I'm a super untidy person, and I used to find it a bit frustrating to pack up all my stuff at the end of an evening of hand piecing. Happily, this is no longer a problem!! All my essential EPP supplies (needles, 80wt Aurifil, clover clips, basted shapes, partly pieced blocks, and even my envelopes of paper pieces) fit easily. 


My daughter has requested one of these for all her sewing bits and pieces (as has my sister), so I'll probably have a few more to share when I get time to make a couple more. I have a few deadlines to meet over the next few months, but once they're taken care of I fully intend to use this most excellent pattern again! 

xx Jess

9 comments:

barcord said...

Ok. So I have seen so many of these lovely bags beautifully made, I have the pattern, what's stopping me. Yours are gorgeous. Love the outer fabric. I must have a go.

Susan said...

It is a great pattern, isn't it? Do you know that my friend Elizabeth has drawn up measurements for a scaled down version? It has only two zipper sections, and is slightly smaller. Handy to have another option, for your daughter perhaps.

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

Your bags turned out great. When I first saw the pictures floating around the web, I thought they were past by abilities. But the pattern was easy to follow and I have now made several.

Nice job, I see more bags in your future.

Ella said...

These are gorgeous. I think I've made two and that was enough for now.

Cut&Alter said...

Love these Jess! I have seen some in the flesh these last couple of months and think I need to bite the bullet and get the pattern. In fact just reading this I have realised they may be great for my girls to keep their dressing tables a little bit tidier!

O'Quilts said...

Love!! You have a great eye for color...good job

KaHolly said...

I have Sew Together love! They are gorgeous! After I made one for myself, and loved it sew much, I had to make two more for dear quilty friends. It's like eating potato chips! XO

Blue dragonfly5 said...

I just completed one with the fabrics for the Riley Blake challenge. Definitely will be making more.

Diana @ Red Delicious Life said...

Every time I see these bags I want one! I just need to bite the bullet and get the pattern and try it. I wish I knew what was stopping me. I love the fabrics you used.