Wednesday 13 March 2013

Once Upon a Time {WIP}

Over the last week or so I've been intermittently working on a commission quilt for my bestest friend. She chose the fabulous story quilt from The Modern Quilt Workshop by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr (seriously great book - this is the first one I've made from it, but there are some really great patterns and ideas in there. Plus loads of info on choosing fabrics and coming up with palettes etc.)

I love the idea of this quilt, and I wish I had started quilting early enough to make one for my kids when they were small (and I still might for the wee one!) Essentially the idea is to weave your way around the 'story lines' and make up a story as you go. It involved a lot of fussy cutting for the picture squares, and planning on the design wall, but other than that it came together reasonably quickly. In retrospect I probably could have used more story lines to give a few more choices along the way, but even so, the options are endless!


The top measures about 40" x 60". The teal-ish fabric is Lizzy House jewels in candy green (from Outfoxed I think?) and the story lines are an orange/pale grey stripe also by Lizzy House. I have a few ideas on how to quilt it - although nothing definite so I'm hoping it 'speaks' to me while I'm basting it ;o) I'm hoping most of that will happen tomorrow while I'm child-free for the day. Although my feather block for the Forest QAL is calling me too, so we'll see what happens!

xx Jess








17 comments:

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

What a really clever idea!!! I love the background fabric - such a pretty shade!

Heather D. said...

What an interesting and fun idea!!

Susan said...

What a great idea! This is such an entertaining quilt!

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

That is such a cool idea! Fab way to show off some really cute novelty prints too!

Catherine said...

What a fantastic idea

Charlotte said...

genius!!!

DeborahGun said...

Really cute - makes me want to find some novelty prints!

Angela Bullard said...

What a fun idea!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I love this quilt! What a wonderful idea :)

Kelly said...

Love this idea - very cool quilt!

Katy Cameron said...

What a fab idea, I would have loved this as a kid!

Kirsten said...

This is such a great idea - love how you have used the strips to join the blocks together!

the running hare said...

What a great quilt for a child and such fun choosing the story.

Taryn V. said...

This is such a cute quilt! I love the lines connecting all the "stories." It makes me think of those "Choose Your Own Adventure" books I loved as a kid!

Sewjournal said...

What a lovely quilt. Great design and colours.

Leanne said...

This is very fun!

Shanley said...

That's brilliant. The stories will be hilarious!