Tuesday 26 March 2013

Aspen Grove {Forest QAL Block 3}

This is another project I've been working on slowly over the last week (I lost count of how many hours it took - maybe 8?) - the amazing Aspen Grove block designed by Caroline of Trillium Designs. Living in Australia, I've never seen an actual aspen grove, so I had to do a bit of googling to find some images as inspiration. Some of the tree trunks in the pictures I found were mostly white with black markings, which is why I used the Madrona Road text print for the trunks. It is a little warped from all the long, thin pieces, but I think once the paper is off it should flatten out with a good helping of steam.


The background is quilter's linen, which I love - it gives a really subtle texture without distracting from the trunks and leaves. I really love this one :o)

I'm really happy I'm keeping up with the QAL so far - although I'm now going to be rushing to get my March bee blocks done over the next few days. Whoops. This paper piecing thing is totally addictive though, and I can't wait to get started on the next block.

xx Jess

21 comments:

Charlotte said...

that's amazing!!!!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

So beautiful! The madrona road print was such a perfect choice for the Aspens! Reminds me of CO! Gorgeous and well worth the time :)

Sarah said...

Really lovely, this is such a stunning QAL so far!

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

Such a beautiful block! Very effective fabric choices :)

Amy Friend said...

Love it-I think that this is my favorite version of this block yet!

Jessica said...

That is AMAZING! Great idea with the Madrona Road fabrics!

needle and nest said...

Wow, that is really gorgeous!

Kathy said...

turned out fabulous! Love the text trees

thepiececorps said...

Luv it!!! B-)

Heather D. said...

It's BEAUTIFUL Jess! What a whole lot of work though. :) I'm a bit too lazy for that, but maybe it's just because I'm in spring break mode. haha Funny thing, there's a school here in our town called Aspengrove. :)

Sharon said...

I love the aspen trunks with the black and white text....so perfect! And I have seen real aspens! (-:

Kirsten said...

Such an amazing block - your fabric choices are just right!

Susan said...

What a perfect block! The fabric choices are so spot-on! It has a such a realistic look! Wonderful!

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

It looks just beautiful! Perfect fabric choices!

Katy Cameron said...

It looks great, love the fabric choices

CitricSugar said...

Worth every minute of those eight hours….

Jess, it's stunning. And I'm not just saying that because I have a weakness for trees.

Jenelle said...

Oh wow Jess! I am totally loving how you used the handwriting fabric for the aspens. It's perfect. I grew up in the Rocky Mountains, and aspens always make me a little home sick. :)

Chez Roo said...

Gorgeous!

jeifner said...

I really like the trunk fabric and the ground. I love all the blocks for the Forest-a-long so far.

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

These are great, well done

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

What a beautiful block! Love your fabric choices!