Tuesday 19 June 2012

Something new?

I know, I know I need another project like I need a hole in the head. But I've had an epiphany of sorts of late. I've decided that there is nothing wrong with having a million projects on the go at once - if I'm feeling bogged down by a project and losing momentum, why should I feel like I have to keep at it? Why not work on something else for a while and go back to it later? Or not go back to it at all? So I decided to start something new :o)

 I like to move from one project to another (I'm very easily bored) and I've had a massive urge to do something a bit improv. I blame my Retro Flowers for this - I'm finding it incredibly draining to concentrate on getting my seams to match when sewing the petals together (seriously, the curves were the easy part. Sewing them together just sucks!) I finished my May blocks for my bees a few days ago (at last!) and I faffed around looking at my WIPs trying to decide which to work on but none of them were making me excited.

Then the other night when I was doing some blog reading, I became aware of this pattern for the first time through Jeanette's blog (go check her blog out, she is crazy talented!). I tried pulling various stacks of fabric for it, but nothing seemed just right. So that pattern has been added to my 'to do someday' list, once I work out which fabric to use. But that little pattern was stuck in my mind. I love polygons, I've worked with hexies a fair bit this year, why not try octagons? I'm not sure when the inspiration struck me, but I started thinking octagons are getting pretty close to circles (kind of, anyway). And then I got thinking bubbles. 

I have a confession here. Over the last few months I've been building up a collection of Mendocino via swaps and a few purchased bits on etsy and eBay. Oh and the dots in the top row? They've been sitting in my stash forever without me realising they are actually HR Lightning bugs. So the ridiculous amount of time I waste spend drooling over fabric online paid off there ;o) Most of these are large scraps, a few are FQs and one or two are half yards.


The solids you see dotted around are all Oakshotts. And oh my goodness I think they were made for each other - I've never found such perfect matches using other solids!

Do you get where I'm heading now? Bubbles? Mermaids? I looked at these (and yes, patted them a lot and grinned like a loony), took a deep breath and did a bit of cutting and piecing. And ta-da, my first Mendocino 'bubble' block was born. The outer ring will also be octagonal once I decide on background fabric (at this stage I'm thinking various aquas pieced kind of randomly so it kind of looks like water...) I started with an 8" square for the centre of this one, and then built the octagonal rings around it.


I loved making it so much! I wish I could show you better how superb the Oakshott aqua is. Even better though, they're a similar weight to the Mendocino and were dreamy to sew.

 Here's my second attempt - a bit smaller for this one, I started with a 6" square. 



I'll be taking a small break from these (though it breaks my heart slightly to do it) so I can actually get my June bee blocks done before time, and make my zippy pouches and drawstring bags for Danny :o)

xx Jess

I'm linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced (no full list of WIPs sorry - I have a page with pics of them if you're interested in how good I am at distracting myself with new projects ;o) )

28 comments:

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

They look fantastic! Love those fabrics too!

Nicky said...

Fabulous - I did something similar called Birdbath blocks by Elisabeth Hartmann and used my stash of bird fabric !

It is a great way to showcase a decent amount of special fabric!

Charlotte said...

they are lovely! Well done for using the preciousness :-D

Taryn V. said...

This blocks are gorgeous! It is kind of like you are looking through a porthole at all those whimsical creatures!

elle squared said...

Love it! I haven't been brave enough (yet) to cut into my H.R. mermaids---bravo to you! I think the blocks look a bit like portholes. . . :-)

Lori said...

That quilt is going to be gorgeous! I can't wait to see how it looks finished.

Rosa said...

Awesome blocks and fabrics.Happy sewing!!

needle and nest said...

What a wonderful idea! This is going to be a gorgeous quilt. :)

Deborah said...

I agree with your philosophy about changing projects. I keep telling myself when all this ceases to be fun, I'll stop......and I don't want to stop! It was very wise to go with your inspiration and your precious fabric. These blocks are gorgeous!

Quilting In The Cold said...

They are fabulous blocks. I agree with you on having a number of projects at one time. I hate using my precious little sewing time on things I am not enjoying, better to have lots of things you love on the go!

Ella said...

Love that block! I'm digging lots of shapes this year!

Heather D. said...

Very very cool! I try not to have too much on the go at once because we live in a very limited amount of space and the last thing my family would want is quilting projects in various stages of completion all over the house (kind of like I need a hole in the head...hehe). But then I run into the problem of finishing something and not having something else to go to immediately. There's benefits to both ways of doing things, I think!

Sana Saroti said...

I cant believe you have all of that HR fabric. That is THE line I wish I had known about earlier. Love what you are making. Cant wait to see it finished.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

These look great! I think you're right to follow your inspiration :)

Cherie said...

You sounded very much like me at the start of the post with the getting bored by projects easily!

Great looking blocks =D

Cherie said...

You sounded very much like me at the start of the post with the getting bored by projects easily!

Great looking blocks =D

Katy Cameron said...

Oooh, that's going to look yummy! Gotta love it when a plan comes together :o)

Kristy QP said...

Ooh loving these blocks! What a great way to showcase the Mendocino prints. It's going to be such a gorgeous quilt :)

Danny Heyen said...

Yay! You broke into your Mendocino! I love the design. I think you picked a winner, for sure. AH! I'm just so excited for you!!

And for me. Can't wait to see those bags! I'm getting anxious. Only a couple more weeks to camp!

Cille said...

The Mendocino blocks are simply perfect. It will be a fantastic quilt.

Kelly said...

Gorgeous blocks! I always jump from project to project, but that's because I have a short attention span ;-)

tartankiwi said...

Lucky you having all that beautiful mendocino fabric! I look forward to following your progress with this quilt!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

WOW this will be incredible! gorgeous fabrics and that's a great pattern :)

Anonymous said...

LOOOOVE these!! Nice job :)

Jessica Kelly said...

These look awesome Jess! What a great use of that cherished fabric :-)

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Fantastic blocks

Nicole said...

This is going to be a great quilt, Jess! The pattern is perfect for these fabrics.

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

Oh wow, these are going to look so gorgeous all together!! Can't wait to see it... whenver that may be ;)